When it comes to US immigration laws, Article 116 is still one of the most confusing laws for many immigrants to understand. In the United States, you may need to hire an attorney to discuss your options for moving forward with Article 116.

Are you unsure what to do next? Here's what you need to know.

What Is Article 116?

Article 116 relates to a law that allows the descendants of Germans to obtain citizenship status in Germany if they were deprived of citizenship in the 1930s and 1940s. Many people during this time were persecuted on racial and religious grounds. The Holocaust was a major reason why Germans left the country, leaving their descendants to be born in other countries.

Some citizens now want to return to Germany from the United States and obtain the citizenship they would have had if their ancestors were not forced to leave. This is where hiring an attorney comes in.

How Can You Be Eligible for Citizenship?

There are a few things you may need to prove in order to get German citizenship. For example, your attorney will work with you to demonstrate that you are indeed a descendant of someone whose citizenship was taken or who was forced to emigrate due to persecution.

In order to get citizenship, you may also need to prove that you have put time into learning the German language and have an understanding of the country's government and laws. It helps to have a strong understanding of the country's culture and social expectations as well.

Why Should You Consider This Option?

German citizenship offers a variety of benefits, including the ability to live and travel in the European Union. You will also be able to vote in Germany. Having a German passport is considered very valuable. If you have additional questions about the benefits of Article 116, an attorney can help.

Why Should You Hire an Attorney?

Immigration attorneys are familiar with Article 116, and they understand your likelihood of getting the approval you need to have your citizenship status restored. They will help walk you through the process and be able to represent you as necessary as you begin the process of immigrating back to the country you love.

Contact an Article 116 Attorney Today

There is no time like the present to begin working with an attorney to right the wrongs of the past. If you think you may be owed citizenship, now is the time to speak with an article 116 attorney about moving forward. Make an appointment today to talk to a professional.